In a social media post, Ever After Music Festival ticket holders are urged to “plan accordingly” after saying the township will not let the event go ahead.
Organizers say a full statement will be released shortly as nothing is expected to change “at this time”.
The news comes a week before the popular electronic dance music festival takes place August 11-14 at Burl’s Creek in Oro Medonte.
According to the township, the festival leased the Burl’s Creek land to hold the event.
At a special council meeting on July 21, a staff report said event organizers expected around 15,000 people to attend the festival daily.
Mayor Harry Hughes told CTV News in an interview last week that the organizer was made aware in January of the township’s process which involves six different agencies signing off on the festival’s operating plans for health and safety purposes. .
“When the report came to council, none of the agencies had signed on, and no security had been posted to ensure people were paid as part of the event,” Hughes said.
These agencies include the Ontario Provincial Police, which wrote a letter on July 19 saying, “The Ontario Provincial Police first learned of this event in late May 2022 and had a meeting with the organizer of event,” according to Detachment Commander and Inspector CJ Yateman.
Going on to say that the operation plans “lacked detail regarding traffic planning and security, missing persons, intoxicated persons and drug disposal.”
Additionally, Yateman said, “The organizer has not completed a Paid Service Agreement for this event. Without a completed Paid Service Agreement, we cannot request officers for this event. Due to the time between now and the event, the OPP will not be able to guarantee adequate staffing.”
A letter was also submitted by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario on July 18, stating: “The AGCO has not received the required ten day notice for this event. The AGCO does not approve of the event plans and supports any decision by the Township of Oro-Medonte.”
With an official cancellation statement looming, there is no indication what will happen to purchased tickets or if the festival will be offering refunds.
CTV News has made multiple attempts to reach the organizer for comment, but has yet to receive a response.